About the Project
The Benson Theatre is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that fosters the success of artists, nonprofits, entrepreneurs, and underserved populations within the historic community of Benson in Omaha, Nebraska. Our goal is to restore the historic Benson Theatre at 6054 Maple Street in Omaha to serve as a shared community space for business education and artistic performance. The Theatre will offer independent programming and serve as an alternative stage in north Omaha for existing nonprofits, schools, and performing arts organizations.
Built in 1923 as a vaudeville theater, the Benson Theatre building is currently closed to public assembly and in need of a full renovation. The nonprofit purchased the building in September 2014 and is currently raising an additional $1.5 million to fund the building renovation.
Benson is a flourishing arts and entertainment district, and the timing to restore our historic theater and bring more diverse entertainment and vital business education to our community has never been better. Your tax-deductible donation will help preserve a historic landmark and support more educational opportunities for Benson and the greater Omaha community. Help us reach our goal and donate online to the Benson Theatre. Donations can also be mailed to the nonprofit at P.O. Box 4972, Omaha, NE 68104. For more information on sponsorships, contact Benson Theatre Executive Director Amy Ryan at email@example.com.
The Theatre’s programming will include educational workshops and seminars during the day and entertainment in the evening. Our nonprofit will provide performance space and vital financial education resources that are not currently accessible in this urban area.
- Corporate-sponsored basic business, marketing, and financial planning workshops for artists, philanthropists, entrepreneurs, and underserved populations including special needs groups and the impoverished
- Business Education
- Marketing Education
- Life & Social Skills
- Benson’s first 225-seat assembly theater
- Benson’s first community space for cinema and live theater
- Partnerships with performing arts organizations that will bring more diverse musical performance (including jazz, blues, and opera) to Benson
- Vaudeville and comedic presentations
- Private events and fundraisers
- Student internships
- Volunteer opportunities for seniors and youth
The Benson Theatre first operated from 1923-1926 as the Benalto Theater. From 1927-1953, the theater was part of a chain of neighborhood theaters owned by the Epstein Bros. The Benson Theatre could originally seat an assembly of 400 for vaudeville performances, film screenings, and community events. The Benson Theatre Project is working with Omaha architect Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture and Omaha general contractor Lund-Ross Constructors to complete the historic renovation. Construction will include the following:
- New infrastructure systems, including electrical and HVAC
- Roof repairs/replacement
- Preservation of the original theater stage
- Reconstruction of the building’s original sloped floor
- Construction of a new projection booth and staff offices
- Reconstruction of the original theater lobby
- Use of energy efficient construction techniques and sustainable materials and equipment
Take a Tour
Come see the historic Benson Theatre! Contact Executive Director Amy Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a tour, or visit the theater during events throughout the spring. Stay updated on upcoming events and Like the Benson Theatre on Facebook.