Help us open our doors
Make your pledge to the Benson Theatre’s capital campaign today!
Donations can be made online or mailed to:
Attn: Amy Ryan
P.O. Box 4972
Omaha, NE 68104
For more information, contact Benson Theatre Executive Director Amy Ryan at email@example.com.
About the project
The Benson Theatre is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that fosters the success of artists, nonprofits, entrepreneurs, and underserved populations within the historic community of Benson in Omaha, Neb. Our goal is to restore the historic Benson Theatre at 6054 Maple Street to serve as a shared community space for business education and artistic performance. The theatre will offer independent programming and serve as an alternative stage in north Omaha for existing nonprofits, schools and performing arts organizations.
Built in 1923 as a vaudeville theater, the building is currently closed to public assembly and in need of a full renovation. The nonprofit purchased the building in September 2014 and is currently raising funds for the building renovation and the nonprofit’s early operating expenses.
Benson is a flourishing arts and entertainment district, and the timing to restore our historic theater and bring more diverse entertainment and vital business education to our community has never been better. Your tax-deductible donation will help preserve a historic landmark and support more educational opportunities for Benson and the greater Omaha community.
The theatre’s programming will include educational workshops and seminars during the day and entertainment in the evening. Our nonprofit will provide performance space and vital financial education resources not currently accessible in this urban area.
- Corporate-sponsored basic business, marketing and financial planning workshops for artists, philanthropists, entrepreneurs and underserved populations, including special needs groups and the impoverished
- Business education
- Marketing education
- Life and social skills
- Benson’s first 225-seat assembly theater
- Benson’s first community space for cinema and live theater
- Partnerships with performing arts organizations that will bring more diverse musical performances (including jazz, blues and opera) to Benson
- Vaudeville and comedic presentations
- Private events and fundraisers
- Student internships
- Volunteer opportunities for seniors and youth
The Benson Theatre first operated as the Benalto Theater from 1923 to 1926. From 1927 to 1953, the theater was part of a chain of neighborhood theaters owned by the Epstein Bros. It could originally seat an assembly of 400 for vaudeville performances, film screenings and community events. The Benson Theatre Project is working with Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture and Lund-Ross Constructors to complete the historic renovation. Construction will include the following:
- New infrastructure systems, including electrical and HVAC
- Roof repairs/replacement
- Preservation of the original theater stage
- Reconstruction of the building’s original sloped floor
- Construction of a new projection booth and staff offices
- Reconstruction of the original theater lobby
- Use of energy efficient construction techniques and sustainable materials and equipment
Thanks to our partners