Welcome to Benson Theatre! Our home was built in 1923 as a vaudeville theatre. In its day, vaudeville – which translates to 'voice of the city' – was a meeting place, an inclusive form of theatre that flourished especially in New York, where it fostered cultural exchange among the city's ethnic groups.
The Benson Theatre first operated as the Benalto Theater from 1923 to 1926. It could seat an assembly of 400 for vaudeville performances, film screenings and community events.
Artwork created and donated by Watie White.
Help us open our doors!
A $4.5 million capital campaign is underway to renovate 6054 Maple Street and build out our staffing and programming. Consider a donation today! For more information, contact Benson Theatre Executive Director Amy Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.